Equitable Food Access, Education, Jewish Life
Central to the Farm’s work is our commitment to reducing community hunger by growing and distributing fresh, organic produce and eggs those most marginalized, inspiring environmental stewardship through high-quality farm-based educational programming for youth and adults, and fostering a healthier, more vibrant, and inclusive community and a more sustainable future for our region.
Each year, Coastal Roots Farm grows 60,000+ pounds of organic, nutrient-dense produce for 30,000+ community members. More than half our harvest gets donated to community members that need it most.
Coastal Roots Farm provides weekly and monthly deliveries of Farm-fresh produce at no cost to:
- Low-Income Seniors at Mercy Housing's Cantebria Senior Homes
- Holocaust Survivors in partnership with Jewish Family Service
- Active-Duty Military and Veteran Families in partnership with Helping Hand Worldwide
- Immigrant and Refugee Families at Vista Community Clinic
- Indigenous and Native Families including the Iipay Nation of Santa Ysabel, Mesa Grande Band of Diegueno Mission Indians, Los Coyotes Band of Cahuilla and Cupeno Indians, and additional families in partnership with San Diego American Indian Health Center
- Low-Income Families, Especially Mothers with Children in partnership with Community Resource Center, St. Andrew's Episcopal Church Food Pantry, Jewish Family Service Corner Market, Kitchens for Good, and other emergency food system partners and social service agencies
Coastal Roots Farm offers hands-on, outdoor, environmental education and experiences through School and Group Visits, Farm Camp, Farm Tours, Volunteer Opportunities, and Internships reaching 6,000 individuals each year.
We strive to make outdoor STEM learning opportunities available to all, especially those who have been historically underserved, with an emphasis on Title-I, Title-V, and low-income schools and groups to participate in the Farm’s programming on a sliding scale and to establish robust strategic partnerships.